Thursday, January 28, 2010

Newcastle's Brown Ale



For my final purchase in Elk River, I went with a six-pack of Newcastle Brown Ale. I remember this beer was a favorite of my friend, Weston Karnes, during the college years. He lifted his bottle, said "This Newcastle stuff is good," and then he hit a beer pong cup. Talk about effective advertisement. So with a touch of nostalgia, I opened up a cold one and drank it down.

A hint of applesauce; that was the first smell that my nose could identify when I took some hefty, nasal wiffs. It was a rural sort of smell, reminding me of scenes from Cider House Rules or Robert Frost poems. An orchard enclosed in quiet winter slumber, the rotting vestiges of the previous seasons still strewn about like the ruins of some forgotten civilization.

The ale itself hits your mouth smooth, easing itself onto your tongue. The carbonation bite is there, as it is with most beers, but there is a definitive tang in this case. This tang begins the transition into the body flavor of the brew. It is a mix of sour and bitter that is noticeable, but not strong enough to approach the line of undesirable. It is sour, yes, but its a refined, tasty sour that makes the second swig even tastier. The flavor fades quickly, leaving vague evidence of sourness behind, but softly enough to be highly enjoyable.

I would recommend the Newcastle Brown to anyone who is looking for a unique new beer. It has some flavor twists that make it exciting, and it will keep you tossin' em back.

No comments:

Post a Comment