Monday, January 25, 2010

Michelob's Dark Lager: AmberBock



For my second beer, I was down in Elk River on a snowmobile trip. The entire town was about the size of a city block, if that, and the beer cooler was right next to the turkey-calls and the dried goods. Despite the rustic surroundings, the only store in town had a relatively respectable selection of domestics and macro-brews. The slick, black packaging of Michelob's AmberBock caught my attention, and my Hamilton.

The bottle and the bottle cap had the same plain black look as the box. Each was notarized with the stylized AmberBock-fonted text. Though the bottle does show off three medals that the beer has won in various beer competitions. Still, not too much to dwell on here, so let us pop that cap!

My nose really liked the sweet caramel smell of this lager, and I even got the hint of molasses. It made me want to drink the beer, and I mean more than the simple act of opening a beer, any beer, already does. I followed my nose, and it did not disappoint.

The first contact was quite smooth, with only a bit of that carbonated bite. It quickly transforms into a creamy, but sharply flavored bitter-roasted malt. I found it hard to drink this beer in single drinks, but instead took two or three swigs at a time without even really wanting to stop. It was good, and I wanted more than what a single sip could offer.

The beer then finishes with a lingering, caramel-malt aftertaste. It's sweet, but not too sweet. A good, even balance that really gives the AmberBock a lasting impression on your tongue.

If you're a lager drinker, the AmberBock will make you happy while you drink it. If you normally don't enjoy lagers, or have never really tried too many of them, the thoughtful, savory-sweetness of this Michelob creation will give you something to think about.

Drink on!

No comments:

Post a Comment