Thursday, August 12, 2010

Buckerfields Brewery's Oatmeal Stout

Picture from the blog Cold War Cookery
One of my go-to beers is Tadcasters Oatmeal Stout. The review of that beer is yet to come, as I am usually too focused on enjoying it to jot down any taste notes. Yet my love for that brew was at the heart of my decision to order this beer first at the Swans Pub in Victoria, British Columbia. I don't know what it is about the oatmeal stouts, but they get me every time. Perhaps the liquorice-coffee smell of this one lured me in like Toucan Sam.

Like the other two Canadian stouts, this one seems to have some kind of fetish for Guinness. This is evoked in its milky texture. It's not bad, really, but a cleaner feel would bring out more of this brew's rather lazy flavor. However, this stout is noticeably more tangible than the others, and the beer hits your mouth kind of like buttermilk; thick, creamy, and just a bit bitter.

The initial bitterness is quickly replaced by a sweet coffee taste. It is like a good coffee in the morning mixed with an "original" flavor sweetened creamer. But then the bitterness comes back to merge with the sweetness like a happy couple, creating a bottom of the pot sort of taste. I liked that.

The Buckerfields Oatmeal Stout is the best stout I found in Canada, but it does not surpass the Beaver Brown in terms of dark beer deliciousness. If you enjoy the oatmeals, try this one. You won't regret it- but you probably won't buy a second one, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment