Sunday, August 8, 2010

Canoe Brewery's Beaver Brown Ale


From a restored warehouse in Victoria, British Columbia, the Canoe Brewpub provided me with my first genuinely impressive Canadian beer. In fact, this Beaver Brown Ale is so much more adherent to the my ideals of porters and stouts that it measures head and shoulders above the other Canadian brews I already covered. It even smells like a stout: a nice, sweet chocolate. Its texture: pleasantly heavy, yet still retaining that relative crispness of an ale. 

The beaver juice enters like a frothy, high-mountain stream; smooth, but with a gentle burn from the bubbles. The flavor follows quickly after: a moderate nuttiness that seemed acorn to me, but hazelnut and chestnut to various other tasters of my pint. I suppose the pallet molds this brew to be congruent with your favored tree.

The nuttiness fades into a gentle dark chocolate aftertaste, like the end of a dark chocolate Reese's (though much more subtle and beer-y). An incredible finish to a truly delightful brew. If you're in Victoria, I heartily recommend the Beaver Brown! You'll have a hard time being adventurous with other new beers when there is a potential to enjoy a second pint of this baby.

1 comment: